We are looking for a driven and ambitious senior design engineer to join our team and support design of our revolutionary servo proportional valves for new applications. The engineer will be responsible for modelling in CAD, carrying out analysis and producing manufacturing documentation for valves, as well as supporting the same functions on our systems projects when required. As a senior engineer, they will also provide mentoring and technical leadership to less experienced team members, carry out peer reviews prior to design approval, act as technical lead or functional lead on specific projects and communicate directly with customers around requirements and technical discussions.
A successful candidate should be able to take a holistic approach to design, considering assemblies and interacting parts from knowledge of first principles, and then making decisions based on inputs from FEA, CFD and DFM, as well as applying knowledge from prior engineering experience.
- Degree level education in Mechanical Engineering or closely related subject
- At least 5 years of experience in a mechanical design role
- Experience of design processes and engineering principles
- Understanding of metallurgy and material science
- Understanding of machining processes and their relevance in mechanical design
- Experience with CAD and producing technical drawings.
- Experience using FEA tools
- Understanding of wider system technology including electronics, software and control, and its impact on mechanical design
- High levels of personal accountability and ownership, to effectively deliver on challenging and ambitious targets
- Strong presentation (both of technical solutions and data) and reporting skills
- Ability to focus on detail to fully understand issues and drive improvement
- Experience leading other mechanical engineers within a project.
- Experience working to Automotive, Aerospace or Marine certification standards.
- Experience of testing in a production environment
- Experience using CFD tools
- Experience with hydraulic machines e.g. Servo valves, pumps, actuators etc.
- Experience designing for additive manufacturing processes.
- Experience with designing electric motors
- Design and analysis of valves to fit customer applications
- Management of manufacturing documentation, including CAD, drawings, bill of materials and AM build files
- Finding and communicating with suppliers for prototype manufacture
- Communication with key stakeholders both internal and external
- Providing design support throughout manufacture, assembly, testing and new product introduction.
- Where required provide the above capability to support other projects, such as suspension, brake by wire and flight controls.
- Mentoring and technical direction on specific projects.
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver world leading products.