We are looking for a driven and ambitious design engineer to join our team and support development of cutting-edge prototype hydraulic systems. The design engineer will be responsible for modelling in CAD, carrying out analysis and producing manufacturing documentation for sub-assemblies within our active suspension projects, as well as supporting the same functions on other systems or valve projects when required.
A successful candidate should be able to take a holistic approach to design, considering the components and their analysis from knowledge of first principles, and then making decisions based on inputs from FEA, CFD and DFM.
- Degree level education in Mechanical Engineering or closely related subject
- Understanding of the design process and engineering principles
- Understanding of metallurgy and material science
- Understanding of machining processes and their relevance in mechanical design
- Experience with CAD and producing technical drawings
- High levels of personal accountability and ownership, to effectively deliver on challenging and ambitious targets
- Strong presentation (both of technical solutions and data) and reporting skills
- Ability to focus on detail to fully understand issues and drive improvement
- Experience using FEA tools
- Experience using CFD tools
- Experience in hydraulics/servo valve and proportional valve design
- Understanding of Additive Manufacturing process
- Basic understanding of wider system technology including electronics, software and control, and its impact on mechanical design
- Experience working in Automotive, particularly with suspension and vehicle dynamics
- Design of prototype suspension sub-assemblies
- Management of manufacturing documentation, including CAD, drawings, bill of materials and AM build files
- Finding and communicating with suppliers for prototype manufacture
- Providing design support throughout manufacture, assembly and testing
- Where required provide the above capability to support other projects, such as valves, brake by wire and flight controls.
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver world leading products.